Our Landmark Exhibit

Please visit our Landmark Exhibit on the first mezzanine, near the Middendorf Lounge.
 
This project has been financed in part through funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of Interior managed by the Baltimore Heritage Area Association, the management entity for the Baltimore National Heritage Area.  The heritage area works to promote, preserve, and enhance Baltimore’s historic and cultural legacy and natural resources for current and future generations.
 
CREDITS

Lovely Lane Meeting House, lithograph by A. Hoen & Co., after the drawing by Thomas Coke Ruckle, in the book Centenary Pictorial Album by George C.M. Roberts, Baltimore, 1866.
 
The Ordination of Bishop Francis Asbury, print by Thomas Coke Ruckle, 1882. Cator Collection, Enoch Pratt Free Library.
 
The 200 block of East German Street, looking west. Photographed in May 1901 by Frank W. Youse. Baltimore City Life Museum Collection. Courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society.

American Architect and Building News, May 23, 1885, hand-colored rendering of the Mercantile Trust and Deposit Co., Wyatt & Sperry, Architects.

Background Map: Warner & Hanna. Improved plan of the city of Baltimore. [Baltimore, 1804], Library of Congress.

PANEL 2

1904, “Burnt district” along Calvert Street north of Lombard Street. Enoch Pratt Free Library, Maryland’s State Library Resource Center. Used with permission.

Photographs of vaults,, Mercantile Trust & Deposit Company.
Advertisement and logo, Mercantile-Safe Deposit and Trust Company.  
 
Background Map:  Spofford, E. W., Munder, N. T. A. & Spofford & Hughes. (1912) A birds-eye view of the heart of Baltimore. Baltimore, Norman T.A. Munder & Co., Library of Congress.
 
 

PANEL 3
Satellite image of downtown Baltimore, Google Earth © 2016   (background)

Production photos by Teresa Castracane, Colin Stanley, and Peter Coulson.